Why This Blog?

Welcome!

Come in and make yourself at home. I'm so happy to be able to share my recipes here with you.

I bake mostly cookies, quick breads, muffins and scones -- sometimes pie, sometimes cake, but nothing too fancy. I prefer simple recipes that call for ingredients that I already have in my kitchen.

These are the recipes I will share with you. They come from family and friends, magazine clippings saved through the years, favorite cookbooks, and other blogs.

I'm so glad you came to visit. Enjoy your stay!

Michael Ann

Friday, August 5, 2011

Toffee Bars

When I was working at UC Davis back in the 90's, one of my favorite things to do was take a break and walk over to the Coffee House to buy a latte and a sweet treat.  I would always keep my fingers crossed that it was a Toffee Bar day.  Ahhh...the delicious Toffee Bar-- soft and chewy with just the right amount of chocolate chips and walnuts. Sigh....

The Coffee House publishes a cookbook and I bought it just for this recipe. You won't believe how quick and easy these are to make! I bake these all the time for my kids, and it is often what I choose to bake when I need to take something to an event. You can cut them into any size squares you want, but when I bake them for my family, we like them large! Soooo good with a glass of milk.
 
Toffee Bars
Makes ~2 dozen

1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2-1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350-F. Grease (or use PAM baking spray) a 9"x13" pan. Combine butter, brown sugar and vanilla. Beat well.  Stir in flour, chocolate chips and nuts. Spread the mixture into the pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.  Let cool, then cut into squares. Do not over-bake!

Happy Baking!

I'm participating in these blog hops

Foodie Friends Friday
Weekend Potluck

17 comments:

  1. Oh Yum!! M A Darling, I'm drooling on my keyboard! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comment forms need a "like" button! :-) Thanks OC Mommy! I'll join you for coffee tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If these are as good as your last cookies, I'm making them tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, these look so easy to whip up...and who could resist a bar with toffee in the title?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these this afternoon, and they are delish! Super easy...they taste like a cross between shortbread and a chocolate chip cookie-two of my favorite treats! Thanks for the keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for writing this, Jennifer! I think your description is dead on. I know, huh? So easy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the coffee house cookbook! I was going to ask you the other day if you had it, what a coincidence. I too love these but have you tried the chocolate chip banana cake or the walnut glaze coffee cake? I made the latter for Trev's birthday breakfast and it was a HUGE hit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those both sound delicious!! Thanks for the heads up. Bozo Bars are another of my favorites. I will post that recipe later. I just edited this post to include a link to Amazon, where the cookbook can be purchased by those who don't live here in Davis. It's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michael Ann, a friend of mine found your blog and shared it with me. I love to bake, just for fun, as well! I look forward to adding some of your recipes to my collection. Toffee bars might just be on my to-do list for today~

    Nancy
    http://dressedforstress.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! These look fantastic and so easy, will have to make these for my kids soon. Thanks for stopping by my blog, I'm following you now too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think these are my husband's new favorite, and he's strictly a chocolate chip cookie guy. He tolerates me making different things but always prefers CCC. These were a big hit with him!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yippee! Thanks for telling me! They look like they would taste like chocolate chip cookies, but they don't.... I appreciate the update, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just added chocolate chips to my grocery list so I can make these this week Michael Ann! I really don't want to, my friend Michael Ann is forcing me to try them! Ha Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha!! Yes, you must!! Let me know how you like them.

      Delete
  14. These look so easy! I love baking easy things. Love toffee too. I am thinking they would be something I could ship to my daughter in college!

    Thank you for linking up to Foodie Friends Friday! I hope you will link up next week too!

    By the way, I am now following you and have liked you on facebook. Would love it if you would do the same! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OK Michael Ann - you already know I LOOOOOVE these yummy cookies. I smiled with glee when I saw you had linked them up at Weekend Potluck. Thanks so much. Please come back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look wonderful Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and hope to see you again this week.
    http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...